Thursday, August 13, 2009

Wide Open Spaceeeeeeeeeees!!!

Fact: I listen to country music in Los Angeles. But in praise of local heterogeny I'll say that, depending on the street and the time of day, I can feel totally local with Martina McBride oozing out the windows of the White Shark. I don't push it. But there's that.

Once you're done judging me, read on.

...


.

{I don't know if anyone in LA proper is reading this blog (pass it along to my neighbors?), but I've got three venues I'm trying to fill with dancers and movers and performance artists and yoga teachers and dance-for-camera types and pretty much anyone who needs an affordable space at a time when affordablility is high on the proverbial list.}--single sentence.

One: BOXeight. It's an art gallery situated in the fashion district of south downtown. It's of the poured-cement-floors-and-brick-walls persuasion, but the space is big (and inspiring) enough for major movers. The people are incredibly supportive artists who are interested in widening the scope of their events and collaborations. It's ideal for site-specific work (and, for me, maintaining my sanity outside of a totally anti-social day job). I love it. End of story.

Two: The 16th Street Dance Space. It's just around the corner from BOXeight, owned by the same benevolent property manager. There are two sprung marley floors of 2,000 and 5,000 square feet, respectively, state of the art sound equipment and lights, conference rooms, showers--the whole nine yards. This is more of a residency space for a company or studio (or companies or studios). It retains the flavor of south downtown but provides for all the basic needs of a traditional dance company. Also gorgeous.

Three: my home!! The glorious zoning of arts buildings in downtown LA permits the stage in my apartment and its rental. Carnegie Hall it is not, but we've got sound and mirrors and an elevated stage, two (soon another!) glorious roommates in management, and majorly open minds. Call me.

No, seriously.




Please.


LADB