Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Dance Around Town

(I don't understand why my font changed!)

One embarrassingly long hiatus later, I'm back - and the calendar's exploding! Whoops. So here you have a preview/plug for at least halfway trustworthy dance performances, classes, and events (and a performance art piece or two) coming up around Los Angeles. Sorted by date, this should help satisfy your hankerin' for local AND exotic fare for at least half the month. Tie on your tennies (or your ballet flats or your bare feet) and get across town to...

...Tonight (November 4) at 8:30 - "Dancing on Site and on Camera" brings three award-winning choreographers to chat about their work (the how's, the why's) with Alpert Awards director Irene Borger. The event is at REDCAT and co-presented by Dance Camera West.

...November 5 at 12:00 - Kasey McMahon and Emmeline Chang will be dotting now 'til early 2010 with performance art events. In Century City, Help Your Husband Get Ahead is the first. There's a Facebook event up - RSVP if you're performing, and you'll get the full dig on how to be! Or just find yourself at Avenue of the Stars Office Park around lunch time...

...November 5 at 7:30 & November 8 at 3:00 - At the Pacific Asia Museum in Pasadena, Lineage Dance will perform in the Art & Ideas Festival: ORIGINS. It's the brainchild, if you will, of artistic director Hilary Thomas. For tickets, check out the company site or the Art & Ideas one. To learn more, click here! They're a pretty super charity-driven group with dances worth seeing.

...November 6 & 7 at 8:00 - UCLA Live actually seems to have planned their Dance and Spoken Word series around my interests. DV8 Physical Theater is coming to town! Lloyd Newson, consistent purveyor of what no one will talk about enough, is bringing To Be Straight With You to Royce Hall for its cross-disciplinarily envelope-pushin' west coast premiere. I am actually drooling.

...November 6 from 10:00 AM 'til 5:00 PM - As if the weekend could get any better, DV8 is holding open auditions. (Also at Royce Hall - and really, open. Men, women, whoever. Click here.)

...November 6 & 7 at 8:30 PM, November 8 at 3:00 PM - My beloved bumpkin college made me a big fan of gamelan music. That and Balinese dance make Ramayana: An Indian Epic at REDCAT. I don't know the first thing about the performance ensemble, but it looks promising!

...November 6 & 7 at 8:00 PM, November 8 at 6:00 PM - Who knows...

...November 7, 14, & 21 at 11:00 AM's - Neil Greenberg will be teaching at DANCEbank, that steady sturdy stream of dance classes for all at Farm Lab heading out of downtown. Classes are $12 apiece. And, because I think this map from the Facebook group is just so great:


...November 7 at 7:00 - I love this company's website. I dig their origin. I don't like that (for shame!) I've never actually seen them perform. Maybe I'll make it to this! And then maybe I'll make it to this. I can't vouch for it yet... but I'm excited.

...November 8 at 7:30 - Yvonne Rainer, that glorious dancemaker who changed SO so so much in the art (Wiki her) is getting more well-deserved attention with Part 2 of 8 in "Bodies, Objects, Films: An Yvonne Rainer Retrospective." The Egyptian Theater in Hollywood is showing "Film about a woman who...", which Ms. Rainer made in 1974. Parking's near-free with validation; general admission is $10. Check it out.

...November 11-14 at 8:30 PM - Another glorious dancemaker, Anna Halprin, will actually outlive us all. But slightly separate from her holistic and apparently life-elongating dances, parades and changes was as awe- and grumble-inducing a piece of postmodernism as any when it premiered in 1965. Who knows how it'll look among 21st century art confetti? I don't. I'm curious. Will review, if tickets appear... But beware, social conservatives! Like all good art, it was once banned in the US. Features a cast of modern scene all-stars, in case you're curious.

...November 14, who knows when, who knows where - FLASH MOB JANET JACKSON DANCE. Will update.

...November 15, 6:30 - 9:00 PM - Word to my home crew! Okay... forget I said that. But a kernel of cool cats meets every week at 522 Santa Monica Blvd. in the coast town for a Contact Improv jam. (My first LA dance experience.) Better than that (as if it could be), they have a Be Or Bring a Beginner night every month! I think it's on the 15th this month. Sorry if I'm wrong... But hey, pay $7-or-what-you-can-pay and get play time with a group of considerable skill and variety. And even if there's no official class, folks are there to help you learn. Plus you might luck out and land a Swinger's milkshake date with the whole party! I recommend. In case they ever update their site: here.

Okay. Gotta stop. Too much to do.

Love,


LADB